Sunday, January 10, 2010

Bitsy

Our oldest is 6 and in kindergarten. We homeschool and I have loved getting to know him on this new level. He is not always as enthusiastic but we are learning together. We are currently using the My Father's World curriculum and Math-U-See. Luke is flying through math and knows how to skip count by 2's, 5's and 10's. He also knows his 1+ and 2+ math facts. He loves math and science...

Conversely he does not so much enjoy reading. I love to read and want to impart this love of reading but it's been a struggle. Overall he gets it but just doesn't enjoy it so much.

Nate describes Luke as passionate. That's a really nice way to say it! He is so sweet and loving but very stubborn and strong-willed. I have no idea where he gets these FABULOUS traits but I do know if we can harness this power it will serve him well in the future. He has tons of energy, loves every sport, enjoys video games on weekends, will do anything for his Dad and tolerates his Mom quite nicely. He even gives me a secret kiss or hug every now and then.

I love this little guy. When we were in the baseball days he was my constant companion. We went all over the U.S. and for a good 15 months I never left him. When I left him overnight it was for a 5 day trip to Cali with Nate and I cried for 4 hours straight. He also has an honorary MSW as he was with me through graduate school. He LOVES his brothers and is going to make a great Dad someday.

I always tell Luke he saved my life. Before I had him I miscarried our first baby at 13 weeks. I was devastated. Then I was surprised to find out several months later that I was pregnant with Luke. During my pregnancy I think I held my breath the entire time. I waited for each milestone and had a fabulous doctor to walk me through all my neurosis. I was so afraid of experiencing that hurt again and I wanted to hold my baby. During Luke's delivery things started going bad. His heart rate, my blood pressure... things weren't looking good. I had an emergency c-section, heard his cry, saw his face and then woke up 4 hours later. He was perfect and my first reaction was "He's so light." He was light-skinned with blonde hair. I was expecting a Mexican baby but that's another story. Being pregnant with Luke taught me to trust again and to believe God for big things. Not necessarily big things like babies and guarantees of things I want but I believed God loved me, would walk through anything with me, goes before me and behind me, wants the best for me and I believed that even if it hurt He would know that and I could trust Him even with that. That's why I think Luke saved my life. He sealed the deal and made me a real life Mom and now he's my Bitsy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment