Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Good-bye HFC & PHO: Breakfast edition

Nate and I have been talking about getting rid of high fructose corn syrup and partially-hydrogenated oils but didn't know where to start. So I have come up with a bit of a plan to phase things out slowly... meal by meal. Rather than taking an "all or nothing" approach I am starting with breakfast.

First, I evaluated what we would normally eat. This largely consists of cereal, toast, frozen waffles, yogurt and occasionally french toast sticks for Luke only. The kids only drink milk and water so that's easy enough. The french toast sticks are out now and a lot of my favorite cereals as well.

So what is IN? Cheerios... all kinds. They have no HFCS and are made with whole grains. A very healthy choice and the kids really like them. Even the Aldi knock-off brand isn't bad but the name brand is actually better. We can keep the toast but I am in the market for a bread made without HFCS that is whole grain. We switched to a spreadable butter that is YUMMY and made only with cream, canola oil and salt I believe. The frozen waffles are OK (No HFCS) for every once in awhile.

I am still exploring other options but for now this would really be fine with me and the kids. They are pretty routine with their breakfast requests so this "menu" would work for us. We don't do pop-tarts and breakfast bars so that makes things easier. Of course, fresh fruit or homemade pastries are also acceptable options. And we will NEVER give up Lamars!

0 comments:

Post a Comment